Grading

VF

I just saw the above listing on ebay, where the seller grades this book at VF, even while acknowledging the "small tear" in the corner.

In the Overstreet Grading Guide, a G/VG grade calls for no larger than a 1/2 inch corner tear, while the one shown is 1 inch. Even allowing that the rest of the book is otherwise in decent shape, that only qualifies for a "plus" grading increment, or, in this case a bump up to VG-.

That is how I would list it, if I had it in my store. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Ted
https://www.hipcomic.com/store/tatyszka-comics

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's certainly not VF with the corner piece missing. Honestly, I've always interpreted a tear being a tear, not a chunk missing, nor is that merely a chip.
  • Good point, vis a vis "tear" vs "piece missing."
    One thing I dislike about the Overstreet Grading Guide is the use of too many similar looking example photos (and poor quality ones, at that, where many defects are hard to see on the page), and the strictly linear progression of faults shown for each grade, as if every comic goes through the same progression of wear, from tiny stress marks to color-breaking creases to loss of cover gloss to larger creases to edge chipping, etc. I wish they would cover situations such as this example, where a comic may appear otherwise VF or better, except for one fault that would apply to a low grade book.
  • As a buyer that would be interested in this specific book, it is no way a 8.0 / VF.
  • G/vg tops. I might go vg- if this is a 30s or 40s book and otherwise in great shape.
  • I cannot believe the VF/NM High Grade Amazing Spider-man #73.
    It has a half inch hole on the cover for starters along with smudges and creases galore.
    Is this a joke?
  • I cannot believe the VF/NM High grade Amazing Spider-man listing -https://www.hipcomic.com/listing/amazing-spider-man-73-jun-69-vf-nm-high-grade-spider-man/4744717
    There is a half inch hole in the cover along with smudges and creases galore.
    Beyond a joke. Come on guys, be real!
  • I've contacted the dealer about it. That's a pretty egregious case of over-grading.
  • There are loose graders all over every platform, I pay very little attention to assigned grades.I go off the scans.
  • Some of the scans are photo stock. Once I get bad comics from one of the sellers, I do not purchase anything from them again. Repeat business is key.
  • I’m a cautious undergrader when selling. I only use photographs, never scans. Scans don’t show accurate spine stability, and divets, waviness and general glossiness are difficult to detect.
  • I simply do not buy from that seller any more. I purchased a book from the seller that was extremely over-graded and when I contacted him about it, I was accused of trying to scam him.
  • Noob here.. What's the easiest way to have a book graded?
  • I have learned by trial and error who grades accurately and who does not. I do my best to come close but go under if unsure.
    I have been burned by some of the same ones listed in here.
  • CGC/CBCS are professional grading services that offer those services, and also encapsulate books - but they're all based off the Overstreet standard.

There's lots of guides online on how to do it yourself, as well.
  • Got a great solution for a display stand for graded comics: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133324430014
  • He knows its only, maybe VG..... What does he have to gain listing it above its grade level? Doesn't that put his credibility to question?
  • Tyszka : egregious !! Yessssss
    Great word
  • I don't understand this kind of mindset either, Nicole.
  • I think the problem is CGC and the affect they have had on the grading of all comics. Missing pieces, book length creases, detached covers/centerfolds are all defects that automatically make a book low grade by a single defect, when it would be fine or vfine. When I sold books years ago I would call these Qualified. saying it would be a "?" grade but it has this major defect. But no one that collects slabs wants a green "qualified" label, so CGC is reluctant to give them, and people don't submit these kinds of books.
  • I would say the grading of the book is NOT the issue, he has shown very clear and concise pictures and elaborates in detail the defects. Everyone grades books a little differently (i.e grading old books vs grading brand new off the printing press books) If he were hiding anything then I would have an issue with it.
  • Showing a scan of the item is NEVER an excuse for false written descriptions. There are clear and (for the most part) precise explanations of grading in Overstreet and online. No grading guide anywhere says a 1 inch corner piece missing warrants a VF.
  • grade guide
    This is interesting. Comments?
  • I only show picture of the actual item for sale. Better to undergrade than to overgrade as well
  • I also avoid grades on non graded books unless it’s a simple NM as a NM book labeled NM seems to sell easier vs just a pic.
    But again having 1000s of sales on eBay and people having such subject ability (even CGC graders aren’t consistent) don’t list with a grade the returns always suck because your idea of VF may be their FN.
  • The simple answer is to blow off whatever the seller says and take a look at the photos provided. If you have questions, ask for more photos. If they are not willing to provide, pass it up.

Anyone that has a "stock photo" is an automatic pass for me.
  • Hi Brian - Agree, always look at the pics. Low res or stock are a red flag. I assess based on the pics and what it is "worth" to me. Not the dealer grade. Not even the CGC grades since many are overgraded. Also interesting how CGC does not note cover paper quality (can't always tell from the outside), so you could have a book with nice pages but tanning edges to the cover and they don;t note this.
  • BUYER BEWARE Comics bagged with no back cover pic and no description to hide the flaws
    THIS SITE IS STARTING TO SUCK DUE TO ALL THE SELLERS MISREPRESENTING THE COMICS TO MAKE A BUCK NOT A BIG FAN OF CGC BUT DEFINITELY WILL ONLY BE BUYING CGC ONLINE UNLESS I CAN ACTUALLY LOOK AT THE COMIC IN MY HAND